Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 June 2015

Review: Damage Done

Review:

Damage Done - Amanda Panitch

I got a copy from Netgalley when this title was available as a 'Read it Now'.

 

This was one disturbing, twisty turny thriller.

 

When I started this book the other day, I did find it rather bland and slow. There is animal death fairly early on and I did find it graphic and uncomfortable. Also, the portrayal of Julia/Lucy's twin brother Ryan was a child sociopath was very very disturbing. On top of that, when Julia finds herself getting involved with the boy she's had a crush on since she moved to the new school and they connect and get along great it felt insta lovey. My initial thoughts were I'm not going to like this one much.

 

As I've DNFed quite a few things recently I figured I'd try and finish this one, regardless of how uncomfortable it made me feel. It did get better. The characters development was pretty good, Julia's family troubles, what happened with her brother in their old school, the consequences creeping up on her. Julia was a complex character. The friends she made in her new school were pretty good friends. In spite of the danger in being Julia's friend and as things get worse, they're still there. And it wasn't really insta lovey after all with the boy she gets involved with, which was nice to see. A tad bit annoying at first, but the way they relationship despite the almost insta love beginning, turned out to be pretty good.

 

The plot becomes very twisty after a slow beginning, and about 41% in it was getting to the didn't want to stop, I need to know what's going to happen point. I was reading during my lunch hour at work and if I hadn't had to go back to work I would have finished the whole thing. The disturbance factor didn't let up. Its not that gory, but it does have a definite ick-factor to it.

 

Julia was a pretty strong character, attitudy without being annoying and over the top about it, an delightfully snarky. She had a definite I'm not going to take crap from anyone when things got really bad for her. She struggles a lot with different issues of relationships with her friends, the new boyfriend, the guilt over her brother's actions. I did find her pret remarkable. But then there's the ending.

 

The twist at the end is kind of stomach churning. Didn't see it coming and despite the fact that it was rather sick, it did kind of make me grin at the same time. Which bumped it up from a 3 star to a 4 star.

 

So while very disturbing, it did turn out to be a very good read.

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1179342/review-damage-done

No comments:

Post a Comment