Powered By Blogger

Friday 12 April 2019

Review: Lady Mary

Review:

Lady Mary - Lucy Worseley

I received a copy from Netgalley.

 

I did wind up buying a finished copy for this one. I saw it whilst browsing in the bookstore. And the cover was just lovely. A green cover with gold accents and a princess silhouette. Caught my eye right away and I just had to have it.

 

I have a weakness for anything Tudor related, I’m completely fascinated by anything related to Henry the 8th and his six wives. This one looked interesting as it was charting the history of Catherine of Aragon’s daughter Mary. Might be interesting to see things from Mary’s point of view, starting from when she was a young child to her early twenties.  

 

Unfortunately, I just didn’t like this novel much at all. It felt like a history lesson, and a boring one at that. It was very much tell and not show. And I may be a bit biased as Anne Boleyn is my favourite Tudor wife and she is portrayed as very much a villain and a vile woman with little more grace than an ambitious whore in this one. Which I really did not like.

 

But then again, I can understand, Catherine was the first wife and Mary is her daughter and while Mary finds herself reluctantly understanding that kings, like her father have mistresses, this one is becoming very prominent in his life and it will be impossible to like her from Mary’s point of view. Mary has always idolized her father, and when he starts changing and pushing Mary and her mother aside for this new woman, things change.

 

Mary does go through some horrible things as she gets older and has to deal with the loss of her princess title, being manipulated and shut out, separated from her mother and everything comfortable and familiar, to dealing with new people she doesn’t know who don’t respect her…it’s pretty awful.

 

Though again, as this was being told it felt like it was all tell and not show. I can certainly empathise with Mary but I didn’t feel an emotional connection to her character at all. The whole thing felt very boring and long winded.

 

Not for me at all in the end.

 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bloomsbury Publishing PLC for approving my request to view the title.

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1870227/review-lady-mary

No comments:

Post a Comment