Powered By Blogger

Thursday 28 May 2015

Review: The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things

Review:

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things - Heather McDonald

It took me a while to get into this one, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself really loving it by the end. I'd seen a mixed bag of reviews on this one, so wasn't sure what I'd think.

 

I did find the main character, Sage, to be very judgmental at first. It seemed like she had something to criticize about everyone, when she herself was trying to be "perfect". You learn fairly quickly that she has something to hide. Something pretty bad happened she's trying to hide and move on with herself. Doesn't give her the right to be uppity and judgy though. At least not in my opinion. While she had a fair few annoying traits, one thing I did like was the post-its and the purple glitter pen. 

 

Sage is known throughout her school for leaving post its with positive messages that make people feel better about themselves. It was cute, and empowering. And does come back to play at a later point in the novel when Sage herself is struggling, in such a moving way it made me cry. 

 

The romance was new boy Shane was sweet, if a tad bit instalovey. He comes in all gruff and moody and by the end of the next day or a few days later he's opening up to Sage in a way he never has with anyone else before. It is a bit eye roll enduing, but its one of those rare cases where the character development is so good, it was easy (at least for me) to overlook. 

 

Both Sage and Shane have plenty of secrets they're trying to keep from each other. Sage is trying to make new friends, she's part of the environmental club, there's drama with her new BFF's asshole of an ex-boyfriend. The way all these different characters come together is so engrossing. The relationship between Sage and Shane in particular has its ups and downs and is rather romantic. The character development is pretty amazing. 

 

The drama takes a sharp turn and escalates towards the end. Secrets are revealed, there are big consequences to certain the actions of certain characters. I did feel the end was kind of glossy in a Disney movie sort of way. Kind of a little unrealistic but at the same time, it was moving (reading so many YA romantic contemporaries this year must be making me a big softie, I cried). 

 

Over all, a really good read. Something I can certainly see myself reading again and again. 

 

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1174687/review-the-queen-of-bright-and-shiny-things

No comments:

Post a Comment