Powered By Blogger

Monday 22 June 2015

June Mini Reviews

Static - Tawny Stokes An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir The Start of Me and You - Emery Lord Black Iris - Leah Raeder Even in Paradise - Chelsey Philpot Day 21 - Kass Morgan These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

Mini review for the June books I've read and didn't feel like doing reviews for. 

 

Static - Tawny Stokes - 3 Stars. YA paranormal romance. One of the many freebies I've had on my kindle for ages, started reading in the hairdressers one Saturday morning, turned out to be pretty good. About a girl who's obsessed with a heavy metal band and gets backstage, only things don't turn out the way she hopes and she winds up waking up in a dumpster the following morning, but finds herself changing in really freaky ways. She teams up with one of the band's roadies who has the same abilities she does and they sent out to destroy the evil band.  Likable heroine, fairly decent world building revolving around succubi and inccubi. Though the mythology did get rather silly towards the end. It was okay, a reasonably enjoyable quick read. 

 

An Ember in the Ashes Sabaa Tahir - 5 Stars. I just loved this one. A lot of fantasy seems to have a middle ages or Grecian based structure, I found the romaneque city really interesting. While I was fairly apprehensive about this one since there were a fair number of negative reviews, I found myself utterly captivated by it. There was a definite lack of world building and sense of description, but I really liked the mythology. Brutal at times, though not the worst I've read. I loved the characters, how everything twisted and fit together. I NEED THE NEXT ONE!!. 

 

The Start of Me And You - Emery Lord - 5 Stars. Emery Lord is an automatic must buy for me. While I did really like her debut Open Road Summer I got very annoyed at  the girl-hate by the main character for any girl who wasn't her squeaky clean best friend. This book had none of that girl-hate. Everything about the friendships in the book were heartfelt and delightfully uplifting. Fairly predictable in the plot, but enjoyable all the same. Deep and moving in parts.

 

Black Iris - Leah Reader - 5 Stars. Jesus, this is one hugely fucked up book. Chocked full of sex and drugs and horrible, horrible characters. I very nearly DNFed this several times. The writing was just genius, lyrical and pretentious, but almost like a punch to the gut, and very blunt at times. It became a compulsion to finish because I knew if I didn't I wouldn't pick it up again. Its a revenge against the sociopathic bully story, a potential love triangle boy/girl/girl which actually turns into a three-way (YES!!). Ridiculously hot sex scenes, though the constant sex got rather tiring and the drug use was just obscene. All the characters were pretty self destructive and deplorable. It became a pretty much love to hate it. I've never read anything like it.

 

Day 21 (The 100 2) Kass Morgan - 3 Stars. Nothing much to say about this one. I liked it. No surprises really, though I did find I liked the character development a lot more in this. Still trying to wrap my head around how different the books are from the TV series. One of the weird ones, where I then both in their own way, despite how different they are. Not a whole lot happens in this second installment until towards the end. Still looking forward to the next one though. 

 

These Broken Stars - Megan Sponner and Amie Kauffman - 3.5 Stars. I don't read much sci fi, often can't get my head around the sciencey side of things. I did find myself really liking this one, I had it in my head was sort of like 'Titanic' in space. But its not like that at all really. Easy story to follow, and I really liked how the relationship between Tarver and Lilac developed slowly, the character growth was pretty incredible. I liked the world building, the spacey stuff was very well written and easy to follow and picture. 

 

Even In Paradise - Chelsea Philpot - 4 Stars. Technically I read this one last month, but forgot to review it. Very predictable story, with incredibly annoying characters. In spite of that, I found myself really liking it. The rich kids in the story are ostentatious in the worst way but a lot of fun all the same, and I can totally see how the main character became totally engaged with Julia and her family drama. I figured out the twist about the accident as soon as it was mentioned. Still, by the end it was kind of bittersweet and poignant. Very enjoyable. 

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1188262/june-mini-reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment