Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Review: Never be Younger, a YA Anthology

Review:

Never Be Younger: A YA Anthology - Olivia Hinebaugh, Christina June, Jessica L Pierce, Cortney Pearson, Rachel Bateman, Adrianne James, Nicole Zoltack, Peggy E. Wicker, Philip S. Johnston

I received a copy from Netgalley.

Shakespeare retellings caught my eye immediately. I see a lot of fairytale retellings, but I don't think Shakespeaer retellings other than Romeo & Juliet parallels is something I've seen before.

The ones I liked were Star Crossed Lovers. Romeo & Juliet with a sci fi twist. Visually striking, and entertaining, if the dialogue and some of the scenes were rather silly. I did quite like the actual lines from the original mixed in.

The Scarf - Othello - I really loved this one. Twisty backstabbing high school drama. Great characters, great story building. Would have loved to see a full fledged novel for this one.

A Gargoyle's Prom Night - A Midsummer Night's Dream - Loved this one too. Very funny. Snappy and entertaining, did a really good job of putting its own spin on the original.

The other stories I just didn't like, two of them, Comedy of Errors and Macbeth, and Merchant of Venice. I'm also wondering if this was a 'clean' YA anthology because I saw no swearing. Even in the club scene one, it was more annoying and eye rolling to see characters using "eff" in stead of saying the actual words, and "heck" when it popped up in one of the stories was annoying.

Certainly, I commend the effort, it must be incredibly difficult to put together a batch of short stories with an original twist when retelling from such a literary icon.

Thank you to Victory Editing for approving my request to view the title.

 

Indie Author Square for Story Sprites Challenge

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1232337/review-never-be-younger-a-ya-anthology

No comments:

Post a Comment