Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 26 April 2016

DNF: Lions in the Garden

Review:

Lions in the Garden - Chelsea Luna

I received a copy from Netgalley.

 

There are some books you know that you just aren't going to like and unfortunately this title is one of them. Initially it was the cover that caught my eye about this one when I saw it on Netgalley, however, the story is very very dull. I'm only at 10%, and already don't like the main character. I must admit, also, I thought it was a fantasy, not a historical. It's trying to be a historical but it doesn't really feel like it.

 

The speech patterns felt kind of too modern. I'm no expert at all, it just didn't feel at all like a historical. It was also very tell and not show. Also - rather gruesome animal death in the first few pages. Big turn off for me. It also in a weird way kind of reminded me of the start of an old Hammer Horror movie. Big castle, peasant town. Girl running through the woods, half expecting the heroine to be seduced by Dracula. (Which I don't think was the intended goal with this book at all).

 

The heroine herself didn't strike me as too bright either. I noticed another one star review on goodreads that pointed this out as well. She's escaping because she wants to avoid an arranged marriage. Fair enough. But she runs away bedecked in gold and diamonds to escape through the woods? Seriously? Apparently common sense does not apply to this girl. 

 

Not for me. 

 

Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books for approving my request to view the title. 

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1392392/dnf-lions-in-the-garden

No comments:

Post a Comment