Powered By Blogger

Monday 8 May 2017

Review: Flame in the Mist

Review:

Flame in the Mist - Renee Ahdieh

I wound up with two review copies of this one. I first put in a Netgalley request which I figured was a long shot, and when I didn't hear anything back in months, I used some of my Penguin First to Read points to secure a copy when it popped up on their read to review site. And then when I'm half way through the book my Netgalley request was approved. Oh well. I don't really know what to make of the novel in the end. I gave it a generous 3 stars, but it's more like two and a half. While I can appreciate the journey of inner strength from the main character, Mariko, I didn't actually like her all that much. I found the first 100 pages or so incredibly boring. The novel is beautifully written, the scenery is fantastic and the descriptions are vivid and lyrical. The fantasy setting in a Japanese world is fascinating. All marks of a fantasy I should love. But personally, I just could not get into the plot. I found Mariko almost aloof, I didn't get much of a sense of personality from her at all. I couldn't connect with her character in a way that would make me as a reader care about what happened to her. That being said, as the novel progressed, the plot did get better and Mariko did show some pretty impressive growth and strength. She's definitely intelligent and determined, you have to give her that. On the way to her politically arranged marriage her carriage party is attacked by a notorious mercenary group the Black Clan. Mariko survives the attack and doesn't cower in fear. She's furious and decides she wants to know the reasons behind. Disguising herself as a boy, she follows the Black Clan and worms her way in. Back in her home province, Mariko's twin brother Kenshin, is convinced she survived the assassination attempt. Other plots include devious goings on between the Emperor and his Mistress who seems to have some hint at dark dangerous magic and her own political agenda. The Empress who seems quite passive but there's more to her than meets the eye. The Emperor's legitimate son (Mariko's intended) and the illegitimate son with their own squabbles. And while all this is going on Mariko in the guise of a boy is uncovering the inner secrets of the Black Clan. Of course there are lots of plot twists and everyone has secrets of their own. Mariko uncovers some shocking truths about the lands she came from and how her lord father runs them, and must decide where her true loyalties lie. There's a romance agenda as well for Mariko when the truth about her identity is revealed. There are secrets within the Black Clan itself. The plot did improve as the novel goes on and starts getting more into the twisty secrets, there's a barest hint of some sort of magic involved, but very little of it is explained. Though it's enough to make the reader want to know more (or it certainly worked that way for me). While Mariko was a difficult character to warm to, her journey throughout the novel is impressive, even with a kind of predictable romance, I want to know what happens next. Thank you to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for approving my request to view the title. Thank you to Penguin First to Read.

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1561248/review-flame-in-the-mist

No comments:

Post a Comment