Powered By Blogger

Monday 19 November 2018

Fall Bingo Wrap Up

Fall Bingo 2018 from Pretty Deadly Reviews

 

 

All Squares Completed!!

 

Made Into A Movie (Can be a TV show) – a Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness – 5 Stars

Middle Grade – The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken – 3 Stars

One Word Title  - Shatter by Aprilynne Pike – 4 Stars

Fire in Title or on Cover – The Arsonist by Stephanie Oaks (Fire on Cover) 5 Stars

Mystery – While You Sleep by Stephanie Merritt –  4 Stars

History with a Twist – In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters – 4 Stars

Set in a School – Blythewood by Carol Goodman – 2 Stars

Witches – Toil And Trouble Anthology – 3 Stars

2018 Debut – Mirage by Somaiya Daud – 2 Stars

Black Cover – Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust – 4 Stars

Space or Stars – Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston – 5 Stars

Fall Release – Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan – 5 Stars

Free – My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Frady Hendrix

Purple Cover – Wicked Like A Wildfire by Lana Popvic – 2 Stars

Dual POV – Empress of All Seasons by Emiko Jean  - 2 Stars

Copper Bronze or Gold Cover – The Merciless 2 (Gold cover) by Danielle Vega –  5 Stars

Found Family – The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Scares You – Into The Drowning Deep – Mira Grant – 5 Stars

Myth or Legend – The Forest Queen by Betsy Cornwell – 2 Stars

Set in Another Country – Wildcard by Marie Lu – 4 Stars

Pretty Spine – The Cruel Prince by Holly Black – 3 Stars

Killers – Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite – 5 Stars

Less Than 300 Pages – A Murder of Magpies by Sarah Bromley – 1 Star (my paperback is 282 pages)

Features Animals – The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie – 1 Star

LGBT+ - Drawing Blood by Poppy Z Brite -3 Stars

 

Best Books

Heart of Iron – Sci-Fi Anastasia retelling. Brilliant – fantastic characters and world building, and totally gripping – just couldn’t put it down.  

 A Discovery of Witches – totally Twilight for grownups but so much fun and better than I had anticipated it to be.

Into the Drowning Deep – Killer mermaids in the depth of the ocean *shudder* Deep ocean life fascinates me but creeps the hell out of me at the same time, and this one did a really good job of the carnage and creep factor.

Exquisite Corpse – reread of an old favourite, just as good now as when I read it over and over in my teens. Not for the faint of heart. Very disturbing but completely addictive.

Girls of Paper and Fire – fantastic fantasy, with a lesbian ship.

The Arsonist – made me ugly cry. I can’t remember the last time a book made me cry so much.

The Merciless 2, Wildcard, Girls of Snow and Glass.

 

Honourable Mentions

Toil and Trouble – mixed bag of witchy stories, some of which I liked, some I didn’t get at all. Some authors I knew of, some I didn’t. Great way to introduce new authors to look for as well.

The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Reading – fun middle grade scares, spooky and entertaining, perfect autumn reading. Beautifully written as well.

My Best Friend’s Exorcism – enormously enjoyable romp through high school in the 80s – 80s pop culture galore, and creeptastic too. Quite silly in places and a little gross as well. Very horror movie like and a lot of fun.

 Drawing Blood – Another Poppy Z Brite book I read over and over in my teens, never got this one quite as much as some of the others. Part mystery part psychotropic trip. I did love the gay couple in this one, and how they came together and fell in love. The surrounding story I didn’t really get but in all worked in a weird way.

While You Sleep – creepy Scottish mystery with a really good twist at the end.

 

Meh Books

Blythewood – Boring and disappointing for a historical boarding school training girls to fight fae monsters, went on too long.  

The Cruel Prince – Black Sheep on this one it seems – it was okay, I  just wasn’t blown away by it as I have been by Holly Black’s other fairy books. Found it a bit slow, but picked up towards the end. I’m curious about where it’s going.

Wicked Like a Wild Fire – I didn’t have a clue what was going on in this one. Something about a line of witches and plants and singing and a deal with death and goddess gone wrong resulting in a family curse. Another one that was beautifully written but the characters were flat.

 

Worst Books

A Murder of Magpies, The Abyss Surrounds Us –futuristic fantasy/scifi about genetically engineered sea monsters. The heroine who is trained to raise these beings to protect ships at sea is captured by pirates and forced into breeding one to belong to the pirate ship. Finds a love to hate relationship with a girl in the crew. It’s lesbian pirates. I’m dying for a book on this subject that I like but this is the second type of book I’ve read on that theme I really didn’t like at all.

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1810020/fall-bingo-wrap-up

No comments:

Post a Comment