Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Review: The Silver Chain Primula Bond

The Silver Chain (The Unbreakable Trilogy, #1)The Silver Chain by Primula Bond
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was initially very skeptical when an invite to view the title from Netgalley popped up in my inbox. I tend to like my romance of the paranormal/urban fantasy blend. And I like my billionaire heroes to have secret super hero identities. Or be some kind of supernatural creature.

I was even less enthused to see "for fans of 50 Shades and Sylvia Day's Crossfire series". I detested 50 shades and the Crossfire series doesn't appeal to me at all. Even so, I figured what the hell. I'd give it a shot and if I hated it, I hated it. I might get a kick out of it being laughably bad.

So after I sent it to my kindle I started reading...and didn't hate it on the first few pages. In fact, I was quite impressed with the tone and the way the female lead presented herself. She wasn't a drip, she seemed quite strong and likeable. And by the end of the first chapter, I was very impressed.

As I got more and more into the book, as it turned out, I completely loved it. It was very wordy, and Serena sounds a lot older than 20, but she's got a good head on her shoulders and right away knows what she wants.

From some reviews I've read of other billionaire hero sweeps innocent girl off feet into new world of sexy delights, the hero always seems to be a jackass. Gustav's first appearance was mysterious and intriguing. He was extremely charming and seductive and their whole first encounter left me wanting more.

It took a while for things to get going and the first sexual activity they engaged in while hot, was a little on the tame side. But as the novel progresses there's a wonderful scene at Serena's first photography exhibition describing some very voyeuristic photos in Venice which describe some of Serena's dark hidden desires. Which ultimately leads to the BDSM aspect of the novel. And was it sexy as hell.

While exploring their sexual sides, the novel focuses heavily on the trust issue between Serena and Gustav. Both are very damaged in their own way, and while they desperately want each other, they can't seem to find away to connect. Made worse by their own personal issues and the over bearing presence of Gustav's abysmal ex wife. Serena doesn't want to be compared and her emotions go into overdrive in dealing with the problem leading to some rash behaviour.

The novel wraps up nicely, and I enjoyed even more delicious hot sex and how the couple pull themselves together and just when you think all is going to be smooth with an end for that particular part of the series and a new book to follow on....a surprising cliff hanger is thrown at you. (I read a few other reviews so I knew there was a cliff hanger and from about half way through I was trying to guess what it was) but I didn't get it or see it coming.

So all in all a brilliant read and I can't wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment