Powered By Blogger

Monday 17 August 2015

Summer Bookish Bingo Mini Reviews

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge Evertrue - Brodi Ashton Life Eternal  - Yvonne Woon She is not Invisible - Marcus Sedgwick Made You Up - Francesca Zappia

Yesterday I tentatively finished my Summer Bookish Bingo challenge. I say tentatively because while I have read a book for every square now, I'm currently reading a few books that will cover squares I may switch if I finish them before the end of the month when the challenge finishes. (Namely The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand which would cover the tearjerker square and The Girl At Midnight by Melissa Grey which would cover the purple cover square).

 

Some mini reviews for the books I read which I don't feel like doing full reviews for.

 

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - 3 Stars.

I liked it.  I don't really have a lot to say on this one other than I liked it. It didn't wow me, in fact, I nearly DNFed it, finding it a little boring. I don't get why it's such a big deal. The characters were okay, the connection was cute, I liked the dual view points. It was quite moving towards the end. It was just okay for me. Award Winner square. 

 

My and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews - 1 Star. 

I hated this book. I didn't think it was funny at all. The humor was crass and stupid. I didn't like any of the characters. I pretty much hated them all except for Rachel. Who was the only remotely sensible character. I felt like it was trying too hard to be clever. It also felt like it was a crime to be normal in this book. Every character was supposed to be unique or quirky but it just felt full of stereotypes. Just awful. Don't get it at all. Published over a Year Ago square 

 

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge - 5 Stars

I just loved this book. It did take a while to get going and some of the Hermetic principle thing was kind of hard to wrap my head around.  The writing was amazing, and I loved the characters in this one. I loved the dialogue. The mythology was rather unique, a mix of Roman and Grecian I've not seen anything like this before. The romance was both beautiful and breathtaking. The characters were amazing. Retelling square

 

Evertrue (Everneath #3) by Brodi Ashton - 1 Star

Oh, Everneath trilogy, what happened?!? I really liked the first two books of this series. I was really looking forward to the last one. Only to be majorly disappointed. I found this boring, and way too coincidental. I didn't like the end, I didn't feel the epic connection between Nikki and Jack and felt Cole got totally robbed of a decent ending. I might have been saddened by the end if I wasn't so damn annoyed with the whole plot line. Racing from here to here, and conveniently getting everything they needed. Including flying about with no passports? Don't see how that happened (unless I missed something which I might have since I wasn't really paying that much attention to it). I just didn't like it. Oh well. Finish a Series square. 

 

Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful #2) by Yvonne Woon - 4 Stars 

Second book in the Dead Beautiful series explores the mythology from the first book a bit more. Still brilliantly written, and still manages its brilliant trait of filtering in a lot of information without making it info-dumpy. Hard to recap without major spoilers for the first book. The mythology is unique, and for the most part set in Montreal and Vermont during autumn to winter, its creepy and delightfully atmospheric. Still love the characters, though new setting, new school, new mean girl who I didn't really see the point of. But other than that, great sequel. White Cover Square. 

 

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick - 3.5 Stars

I read this in pretty much one sitting. I'm really not sure what to make of it. I liked it, some of the concepts about coincidences were a little hard to understand, and it did feel a little like info dumping. While I did like Laureth, the main character, I found some of her actions rather stupid and found it a little unbelievable in places. It was a faced paced story, and hard to put down once you work out what's going on. I did really like the family dynamic in this one. Main Character with Physical Disability square .

 

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia 4 Stars

Oh this was a heart-breaker! One of those brilliant books with a totally shippy romance, fantastic dialogue that could go from being funny to gut wrenching within a few pages. Alex, the main character, has schizophrenia and can't tell what's real or what's not some times. She's got a great voice, I loved her to pieces. Sent to a new school she has to join a community services club where she starts making some friends, and gets the attention of a strange but oddly appealing boy Miles, who is a jerk. At first. A mean girl to defeat and a mystery about a supposed ghost in a scoreboard. It sounds a little silly, but it was brilliant. And had some truly heart breaking moments towards the end. It made me cry a little. I loved it. Blue Cover square.      

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1230247/summer-bookish-bingo-mini-reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment