Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Review: The Devil's Advocate

Review:

The Devil's Advocate - Andrew Neiderman

The Devil's Advocate is one of my favourite movies. I must have seen ten times plus. I can probably quote most of it word for word. I had no idea it was based on a book until last Saturday when watching the DVD again, I let the end credits roll longer than I usually do and noticed. So I immediately went and bought it.

 

This is a case, for me at least, the movie is ten times better than the book. The movie is brilliant. The book is bloody awful. I can see the basics of where the movie screenplay came from. The bare bones of plot and a fairly good idea is there. After winning a controversial case a young attorney is swept off his feet and brought into a prestigious top New York firm, the cream of the crop of lawyers and beautiful secretaries, all over seen by the charming and charismatic John Milton. Of course, as the story develops there's much more to it and nothing is as simple as it seems. There's a twisting darkness underneath it all. 

 

The movie takes these ideas and builds a story that evokes a sense of fascination and dread with complex characters, rich although disturbing mythology, beautiful scenery and brilliant acting making for a great movie.

 

The book does none of this. The writing felt very poor and simple, characters were flat and one dimensional, the dialogue felt clichéd and lame. It was very much tell and not show. I didn't find there was any depth to anything. The only thing that kept me going was I wanted to see how the plot worked in the book compared to the movie.

 

Final conclusion, thankful I saw the movie first. 

Original post: sunsetxcocktail.booklikes.com/post/1327495/review-the-devil-s-advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment